The second hand car market services a growing number of people who are looking for affordable pre-owned vehicles. While it’s possible to get a good deal when buying a second hand vehicle, there are some pitfalls to avoid. There have been some reports of people selling stolen vehicles in the Emerald Bay area recently. Here is how to avoid buying a stolen car:
- Every car should have title and registration documents. These will identify the vehicle (along with its VIN number) as well as the legal owner of the car. Make sure that the person selling you the car is the person mentioned in the registration document. Always ask for proof of identification.
- It’s important to make sure that there is no money outstanding on the vehicle from a previous finance arrangement. Asking the person about where he financed or insured the vehicle will give you information that you can then check up on. If they owned the car legally before then you should be able to confirm this with the financing institution of insurance company.
- Make sure you get a fixed residential address from the seller. If he refuses to give it to you or is hesitant to confirm this then it may be a sign that you should be avoiding this car.
- The VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is essentially the fingerprint of the car. It is a unique identifier for that specific vehicle. You can find it on the driver’s side where the dash meets the windscreen. This should match the VIN on the registration document. If it looks like it has been painted, removed or altered in any way then it’s time to walk away.
- If the seller is asking a price that seems to be far less than he could get for the car then alarm bells should start going off. Either it’s stolen or there’s something wrong with the vehicle.
- car parts is finally here so check it out today, and you might even get it for free.
Use your commons sense and trust your instinct when buying a second had vehicle. It’s your right to ask as many questions as you want before making your purchase. Remember that if you buy a stolen car it can be taken away from you and you will have lost your money. Following the tips above will help you make a safe purchase.